Based on the most recent guidance from Philadelphia's Department of Public Health regarding the COVID-19, and out of an abundance of caution for our residents, the Mayors Commission for Women has decided to cancel our upcoming event- Annual Summit for Women & Girls which was scheduled to take place on Friday, March 27, 2020.
We do not yet have a timeline for when City-supported events will resume. Please do not hesitate to contact Jovida Hill at Jovida.Hill@phila.gov should you have any questions.
If you are planning to attend or host other events in Philadelphia in the coming weeks, we urge you to consider the Health Department's guidance:
- Public events with an expected attendance of 1,000 or more are prohibited effective immediately.
- The Department of Public Health strongly recommends not holding gatherings of more than 250 attendees, with a gathering defined by the number of persons in a single room or space. In view of the risk, those planning non-essential gatherings may choose on their own to discontinue gatherings of smaller sizes. If groups choose to hold large gatherings, they should carefully adhere to the recommendations below.
- People who are sick with fever and recent onset of cough should NOT attend, and should instead stay away from other people.
- Discourage persons with chronic illnesses (such as heart disease, diabetes, or kidney disease) and persons above the age of 60 from attending because of the risk to their own health.
- Try to offer alternative distant viewing and participation options, such as by video or audio recording or live streaming, and reduce in-person participation by encouraging use of these options.
- Arrange to increase the physical distance between attendees to three feet or more, such as filling only alternate seats.
- Provide alcohol-based hand sanitizer to attendees, and ask all attendees to wash hands or clean them with alcohol-based hand sanitizer before the meeting or event.
- Instruct attendees to refrain from shaking or holding hands or otherwise touching each other at the gathering.
- Do not offer or allow attendees to share cups, bowls, utensils, food or drink, for example at faith gatherings.
- Do not offer food and drink, because it increases the likelihood that people will come in proximity and share these.
- Post signs explaining these procedures at entryways and announce them during the event.
Remember to visit the Department of Public Health's COVID-19 page (phila.gov/covid-19) for the most updated information. You can also text COVIDPHL to 888-777 to receive updates directly to your phone.